Tuesday 15 November 2011

Arrived safe and sound (shaken and stirred)

The 8 hour flight from Heathrow to Nairobi was uneventful – probably the best one can hope for The from a long flight.  Exciting is not necessarily good when flying.  The flight on to Kisumu was more interesting – there was quite a cloud cover at first but when we dropped below the cloud I could see a huge area of fields – obviously this part of Kenya is good farming land. The land appears to be fairly intensively occupied as we could see many shiny rooftops (corrugated iron being the roof of choice as income increases).
The bus journey was very hot and uncomfortable – the roads are poor of course but the “bus” was a minivan stuffed to 130% capacity.  The final part of the journey was by motorbike.  Zoe had come to meet me so we had all my bags plus her overnight backpack and shopping on the back of two bikes.
This picture is my driver – John – he was very good, and although I wouldn’t say I was comfortable the journey hasn’t left me a jittering wreck.  Whether I can do it again before I go home remains to be seen – I guess it depends on how desperate I get to get out of here!


The school is still quite small – only 100 girls in 3 classes – and has no mains electricity, water or sanitation.  I share a house with the two workers from Teach a Man to Fish (more about TaMtF another time). I have a room with a bed (with mosquito net) and luckily the other two have mastered the art of cooking on a small charcoal burner. 

The setting of the school is very peaceful and when school breaks up later this week it will be very quiet.
I have met the Principal and most of the School Management committee, the staff and students. The students will be leaving soon so I won’t see much of them in the next three weeks. A few of them just popped in to see me and asked to see the pictures – they were very happy with the picture of some students playing volleyball.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment